George Constant 1892 - 1978 American Painters, Printmakers
The Greek-American artist George Constant is said to have gained an early appreciation of Byzantine icons through an uncle who periodically cared for him—both his parents had died when Constant was four—in the environs of a religious monastery. Constant immigrated to the United States in 1910, at age eighteen, and began art studies at Washington University, St. Louis (1912), and the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (1914–1918), where he studied briefly under the Ashcan painter George Bellows. Constant also studied with Charles W. Hawthorne, a former assistant to William Merritt Chase and a cofounder and director of the highly influential Cape Cod School of Art (established 1899), in Provincetown, Massachusetts. After teaching in 1920–1921 at the Dayton Art Institute, Constant relocated to New York City, where he joined the roster of the Valentine Gallery. Perhaps influenced by the early example of Bellows, Constant devoted much of his attention to the graphic arts, especially engraving and etching. He celebrated his first solo exhibition in 1929 at the Arts Club of Chicago, and in the following decade participated in the Federal Art Project of the Works Progress Administration. In 1940, Constant founded and served as president of the Society of Modern Painters and Sculptors; he was also instrumental in bringing together a circle of contemporary Greek artists, the Koumbaroi "groomsmen", who painted in the Shinnecock Hills during the 1940s and 1950s.
George Constant was one of a group of contemporary Greek artists who painted in the Shinnecock Hills, where Constant lived from 1960 to 1978.