John Little 1907 - 1984 American Assemblage Artists, Painters
While visiting Jackson Pollock and Lee Krasner at their home in Springs in 1948, John Little purchased seven acres of property nearby called Duck Creek Farm. Thanks to his successful fabric and wallpaper design business, Little was able to renovate the 18th Century farm house and relocate an old barn to the site to use as a studio. He became a permanent resident of Springs in 1951, where he began to paint with a new freedom. Rose Slivka characterized his 1950s paintings by their "searching, restless brushwork and lilting color, the plunge and splash of Abstract Expressionist temperament." His assemblage constructions composed of beach debris gathered at Ditch Plains in Montauk became the subject of a 1955 film by Hans Namuth and Paul Falkenberg. In 1957, along with Alfonso Ossorio and Elizabeth Parker, Little founded Signa Gallery at 53 Main Street in East Hampton. In operation for four consecutive summers, the gallery served to promote the work of contemporary artists beyond the boundaries of Manhattan to the beach communities of the Hamptons. A retrospective of John Little's work was shown at the Guild Hall Museum in 1982. He died in 1984 and was buried in the Green River Cemetery in Springs .
[Source: McCormick, Thomas. Looking at John Little, Ecliptic Terrane A Retrospective Exhibition April 27 - May 28, 2010, Spanierman Modern]