In the late 1890s, Henry Prellwitz and his wife, the painter Edith Prellwitz,began visiting eastern Long Island and the less populous North Folk. BY 1914, they painted the local landscape during the winter. There is an evident affinity in his winter images with what French Impressionists called effets de neige. Prellwitz had made several extended visits to Giverny while studying in France in the late 1880s, one in the winter months. John Henry Twachtman expressed what many American artist felt when he wrote to fellow artist J.Alden Weir in 1891:
"We must have snow and lots of it. Never is nature more lovely than when it is snowing. Everything is so quiet and the whole earth seems wrapped in a mantle."
Prellwitz was born in New York City in 1865 and studied at the Art Students League under Thomas W. Dewing in the mid-1880s. He went to Paris in 1887 and attended classes at the Academie Julian. During his visits to Giverny, he absorbed the lessons of plein-air painting. He returned to New York and established a studio, and shortly thereafter met Edith Mitchill. They married in 1894. The Prellwitzes enjoyed the camaraderie and friendship of artist neighbors Irving Ramsey Wiles and Edwards August Bell and their families. In 1911, the Prellwitzes purchased an early nineteenth century house, which they moved to land they owned on Indian Neck, a promontory jutting into Peconic Bay. Adjoining studios were built, and the two artists spent many happy years in this idyllic setting.